Sunday, October 22, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party! 
Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee to enjoy while visiting the blog links of stitchers around the world. It's so inspiring to see what other people are creating with their own two hands.
I am slowly making progress on the hand quilting of my Life Is Beautiful blocks. This is the block I will be finishing today.



And in knitting news, I gave up on the baby sweater I have been working on forever. I took this project camping with me and somehow all the stitches fell off the needles. 
ALL the stitches! 
OFF the needles! 
And well, it's just too hard of a pattern for me to figure out how to put the stitches back on the needles, and I'd gone too far to unravel it and start the whole thing over. So I had to call 911 Knitter (aka my friend Gayle). Hopefully she will be able to restore some kind of stitch order so that I will be able to finish this baby sweater in my lifetime.



And I'm learning how to knit a little tiny pouch for ear buds. See the one that my friend Wendy gave me last year? I just love it and use it all the time, so I wanted to try to make one. Here are the needles and the wool. Hopefully this is (much) easier than the sweater. It's my first time knitting with 4 needles and I'm excited to try something new. Worse case scenario is I don't like it and/or make a big mess, and then I will just drop off the wool and needles at my friend Gayle's house! 
What are you hand stitching today? Are you having success or do you need a little help from your friends?

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   



17 comments:

Sarah said...

I visited a kaffe fassett exhibition this week and he had made a quilt along the lines of life is beautiful (without the red work)! I excitedly told my DH that I knew someone in Canada called Kathy who was hand sewing the same pattern. He thought I was mad..... such is the wonderful world of blogland! Thanks Kathy! Ps hope your knitting can be restored to some order!

The Cozy Quilter said...

We have a great little knitting shop where I live called “the Little Red Mitten” . I was there yesterday to pick up a birthday gift for a friend and there was a mitten class going on...when I retire, learning to knit is on my bucket list. My friends, Pat and Cathy, said they would teach me. Looks like you have lots of handwork project to keep you busy.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Sounds like your friend Gayle is a good friend!

Julierose said...

Try Elizabeth Zimmerman's easy baby sweater...I made this one for all my grand girls and it was easy....I am knitting a really easy (garter stitch) shawl right now...also: how about stitch stoppers on the ends of your needles to keep them from falling off. ;))) lol(Ask me how i know about these).
hugs, Julierose

Linda M said...

Lucky you to have a good friend to help out with the knitting, I'd be so stuck with it. I started over with a piece yesterday, fortunately I wasn't as far along as you and the pattern was much simpler .

Ellen said...

Makes me think of Joe Cocker - I get by with a little help from my friends! I definitely need my friends and my family as well. :)

The ear bud pouch is adorable but looks so tiny to work on!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

oh sorry to hear of the knitting misadventure! :( Enjoy the quilting today, though! :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think everyone needs a friend who can be their 911 call for a knitting mishap! The little earbud holder looks like fun!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love to knit but am only successful with mittens and dish cloths. I am currently trying my hand at a felted hat. Time will tell. Happy Stitching

Deanna W said...

I have a "Gayle" friend she is Mallory. She helps me when I have dropped stitches or on harder patterns that I can't seem to understand. Buddies who like the same hobbies as you are priceless!!
Hope you get back on track with that sweater...don't give up!

Deb said...

You are making great progress on Life is Beautiful, too bad about the stitches falling off the needles and I sure hope you friend can rescue all that work. I have had that happen to me too often and I have unraveled and started new I think its why I pretty much gave up knitting and went back to crochet.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I really would like to learn to knit better, with more stitches. Working on wool appliques now. Hope you get your knitting troubles solved, it would be awful to lose all that lovely work.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you need some of those little end pieces for your needles - has happened to me and I don't knit good at all - I'm afraid I couldn't get them all back on right!

Sherrie said...

Hi Kathy,
I'm not a knitter, I've tried, but it doesn't work for me. So I crochet. Have a great day!

Kaja said...

Gayle sounds like a good friend to have! I love that little earbud pouch - such a clever idea and a manageable size to knit (hopefully).

Lynette said...

That is the best quilt block - and what pretty knitting! I can crochet just about anything, but knitting always eludes me, so I greatly admire other people's work in it. :)

Kate said...

Enjoy your hand stitching today. I've never tried knitting, but want too. Before I start, I should look for a 911 knitter!