Thursday, September 21, 2017

Shweshwe for the Quiltalong

Indigo Shweshwe
As my blog readers know, I have a million quilts on the go and so many projects already to work on. In fact there are 4 mystery quilts in various stages of progress on my work surface today! 
But of course I'm starting Lori's new "Palmateer Point" quiltalong because:
a) it's just a quick tiny little quilt, 
b) I've enjoyed so many of her previous projects - you can see some of them here, here and here, and 
c) I may have a bit of an addiction problem! LOL
I decided to use a long saved treasure of Shweshwe fabrics that I received from my friend Celeste. I don't want them to be on a shelf in a closet anymore... they need to be in a quilt and this is the one!
The wrong sides of the fabrics are stamped with either "six star toto" or "three cats" which indicate authentic Shweshwe fabrics from South Africa. There is a lot of dye discharge with these fabrics so you must prewash before using them. And they are quite stiff, so washing them first makes them more soft and fun to sew with.


Here are my 4 patch units for step #1 with a wonderful variety of indigo prints. Part #2 has already been posted, so I'm hoping to sew those blocks tonight.
Are you joining in with this quiltalong?
Linking up to Let's Be Social.

10 comments:

Barb said...

Great way to use these special fabrics!

Kristin said...

Those are beautiful fabrics. I can't wait to see how this turns out!! Enjoy your new project.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

They are beautiful fabrics and look like they will be just perfect for this quilt. I haven't done a lot of Lori's quiltalongs but I definitely should be doingthem, looking at all the wonderful projects you have made.

Roxanne said...

Lovely fabrics and your last photo shows them off perfectly!

Quilting Babcia said...

Your fabrics will make a unique version, I love those indigos. Yes, I've begun this quiltalong, but haven't gotten to week 2's blocks just yet. Still deciding on a fabric for the hst's.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That should be a wonderful quilt in blues. Interesting lesson on the fabrics.

Sandra Walker said...

Beautiful shweshwe fabrics, now I know what they are thanks to the 150 CA Women and Meerkat Shweshwe who I've met throughout it. You're so right about getting fabrics off the shelf and into a quilt...I may have a (cough) few languishing on my shelf too! Checked out The Herd--LOVE this! I may have the beginnings of a herd myself, and all but one found me while I was searching for a Featherweight ha! I also am curious about TOGA--is it in Michigan? Think I came across another quilter/blogger who attends.

Kay said...

Love your fabric for Lori's quiltalong! Can't wait to see your's finished. I'm playing along using Lori's suggested colors. I need to be brave and step out by using different colors.

Nancy said...

I keep thinking I don't really like blue very much but then I see these fabrics and realize I love some blue fabrics. These are just gorgeous. Are they dyed with indigo? I can't wait to see what happens with Lori's little quilt. I know whatever it is, your quilt will be just perfect.

Kate said...

Wonderful fabrics for your new mystery adventure. Love all those blues.