Saturday, May 27, 2017

Quilt Auction

quilts waiting for new homes
Today is the Mennonite Relief Sale when there will be over 250 quilts auctioned to raise money for relief from hunger, poverty and natural disaster world wide, and for development and peace keeping efforts. It is an organization that is near and dear to my heart, and I have been attending this annual event for many years. 
My small group of quilting friends (the "Sew 'n Sews") have made and donated several quilts over the years, raising over $2,000 for this worthwhile cause. 
You can see the group quilt we donated for this year's auction here - Whirlygig #107. It's a hand quilted scrap quilt made from the fabric stashes of 5 very diverse quilters. 

And in keeping with the them of all of the efforts by the hundreds of people that go into raising money for this very worthy cause, I saw this sign today that I just had to make a U-turn to take a photo of. Love it!

13 comments:

Janet O. said...

Looks like a really good place to donate a quilt.
And I love the sign, too. : )

Gretchen Weaver said...

I hope your quilt sells for a great price! Our relief sale is the 4th Saturday in September.

Chantal said...

Thanks for the link Kathy. So many wonderful quilts in there. Wish I live closer so I could attend too. Hope your quilts, which is so lovely, brings in big bucks. I tagged the picture of the sign. It's true, kindness is a choice. Enjoy the auction. ;^)

Karen said...

The little quilt group I have been part of is also called "Sew 'n Sews".

Quiltdivajulie said...

That sign needs to be a bumper sticker -- what a relevant thought!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a wonderful sale! I wish I lived closer to go to it!

MissPat said...

What an impressive collection of auction quilts. Hope they raise lots of money. The need is certainly great.
Pat
Rr

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great sign.

Marie said...

This auction has been on my bucket list for years. Some day.

Nell's Quilts said...

Thanks for sharing the link to the catalogue. Quilter's eye candy! Photographs really don't do justice to some of the beautiful quilts. Hope there were lots of bids for #107.

Lynn Wilson said...

I belong to a small quilting group who also calls ourselves the "Sew and Sews." We are your sisters from Arkansas!

Lynn Wilson said...

My little group in Arkansas also goes by the name!

Kate said...

Hope you had a great time at the auction and that it raised lots of money.