Sunday, March 26, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching/Resting

It's Slow Stitching Sunday - the day of resting, moving slowly, breathing deeply, and hand stitching. Resting is an activity, and is a verb. To rest means to "cease work or movement in order to relax, refresh oneself, or recover strength" (Mirriam-Webster Dictionary). In past generations, people believed that resting was an essential element in a healthy, well balanced life. But now I often hear (and have believed) that resting is not valued. For many people rest = lazy, and it's something you only do on vacation once a year (unless you get completely burned out before then and your body makes you go on a forced leave!)

I have only learned the value of rest in the past few years, and realized that the ability to power down your brain, and let it heal itself is vital to wellness. Of course getting enough sleep is also important, but I'm talking about being able to be in a restful state while awake, to take a complete break from your activities and your worries, and to achieve a state of deep relaxation. 

The quickest way for me to accomplish total restfulness is by hand stitching. When I'm hand stitching, I am not thinking about anything else except where the next stitch is going. And I must pay attention to this task, because injuries are caused by inattentiveness. When I don't focus, I poke myself with the needle and bleed! 
I take deep breaths, I focus only on the next stitch, and I don't allow any worries to enter my mind. 
So every Sunday I am writing a permission slip for you (and me) to take some time to fully relax! You are not being lazy. Get out your hand stitching project and know that you are investing in your own wellness by relaxing and taking good care of yourself.
Here's the link up if you want to share how you are relaxing with your hand stitching today.

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   

18 comments:

Deanna W said...

May I please have a few permission slips....oh maybe I don't need them. Heading out for a week at the huntcamp for maple syrup time. Enjoy your week and check your email about piranha retreat.

SandraC said...

Your Sunday posts are always relaxing for me to read....thanks!

Julierose said...

Nice posting today--just sitting, taking a few sips of tea and wool-gathering is my relaxation. I tend to tense up if I have deadlines so try not to anymore--that was in my other younger lifetime...I don't have a hand project ready as yet, but am working on it...hugs, Julierose

The Cozy Quilter said...

In our hyper-busy lives, I welcome some time each week to sit and do some slow stitching. Thanks for the weekly reminder to slow down.

Sarah said...

You are so right we do need to step back and relax - life can be so hectic. I really value my hand stitching time, it's me time...and I love it!!

Barb said...

a great reminder of something that is so hard for most of us to do!
thanks - have a lovely day

Kate said...

It's so soothing when you can get into a rhythm with hand stitching. Definitely the thing to be doing during tax season! Enjoy your slow stitching.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I agree, Sunday has been a day of rest for me for a long time. I love doing quilt binding by hand, and I have several stitch kits to get to, hopefully soon.

Ivani said...

Cross-stitching is always a relax for me. As you said I focus only in where the next stitch will be. Happy Slow Stitching!!

Cathy said...

You are right...hand quilting is mind yoga! Now that I am (finally) retired I have more time to sew and more time to relax!!! Wooooohooo.

Juliann in WA said...

This is exactly what I needed to see today - thanks for the permission slip

CathieJ said...

Being firmly entrenched in the sandwich generation at the moment, my ability to relax without worry is limited. I do find that I can often let my mind be calm with stitching of some type. This was perfect for me today. Thank you.

Created by Kathi said...

Sunday's are my fave time to slow down and enjoy designing future quilts and slow stitching those that are ready! Thanks for the permission slip too!!! Kathi

Laura said...

Great post! Unfortunately, I'll be spending Sunday on chores...somebody's got to do them. But you are so right!

Kath said...

You have summed up perfectly how we should not feel guilty for recharging our batteries.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've basted lots of hexies today, but, they don't make for a good blog post.

Denise :) said...

I hope you enjoyed your slow stitching yesterday ... I did and then some --it'll spill into my week nights, too! By the way, even when I'm focused I can end up poking myself and 'blooding' all over the place!! :)

Scrapatches said...

Linking up today with all the wonderful slow stitchers. Sew much inspiration in the links! Thank you for hosting ... :) Pat