Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Canadian Women Update

In December I started making blocks for the 150 Canadian Women quilt. In order to keep up with this project I should be making 3 blocks a week, but I got way behind over the holidays. It has taken me a bit to figure out how to organize this project, with downloading and printing the block pattern releases, gathering fabrics, then cutting and sewing all the pieces. 
As I'm sewing these blocks I enjoying reflecting on the life stories of these inspiring women. Some of the women are well known (to me) characters such as Nellie McClung, but others are women I have never heard of before such as Thérèse Casgrian, who ran for political office unsuccessfully at least 7 times! 7 times she tried, but never gave up, eventually becoming the first woman to lead a Canadian political party in 1951. Thérèse's story reminds us to never give up on our dreams!
Here are the first 15 blocks on the design wall in order of the pattern release. On the web page it looks like they have used a random layout but I have lots of time to consider that decision. There are 135 more blocks to sew!

12 comments:

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

This project is a wonderful idea. Makes you think about historical figures while quilting. Love the red blocks already made. It seems this is quite an undertaking. I've enjoyed reading your post. mary in Az

Janet O. said...

This will be a beautiful red/white quilt--and you will have learned a great deal about the inspiring women of your country. Win/win!

Karen said...

I have been saving the block pattrns. Have not been reading the stories but will be doing that. Such a good idea for remembrance of Canada's 150th.

Pam said...

I googled 150 Canadian Women quilt. It is quite and undertaking. It appears to be all pieced and no applique. It is lovely in the pretty red tones.

Nancy J said...

I hopped to you from Maureen at Mystic Quilter. I am also taking part in the 150 Canadian Women, love the blocks, I have 23 pages of blocks not started yet!!! Some amazing young or not so young women, marvellous stories, and what a tribute to each of them.

Jo said...

That's a great goal.

Laura said...

This is a great project! There is much to learn from the courageous women, and you will have a fantastic keepsake!

Mary said...

Great Progress on your long term task. One Stitch One Block at a Time gets it done!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, those are lovely blocks. If you feel like it, please consider linking this post at http://quiltinglearningcombo.blogspot.ca/2017/03/celebrate-fetons-150-in-march.html We are having lots of fun exploring and celebrating Canada's 150th.

Barb said...

What a great project!

Kate said...

It's been fun and educational to watch those blocks develop.

www.somewhereinstitches.blogspot.com said...

Im not canadian but looks like a beautiful piece to do