Saturday, January 21, 2017

Alamo Stars

Alamo Stars has been my main leader-ender project since 2012. For more than 4 years I have made blocks here and there and posted them occasionally on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge link up. You can see the whole block collection on the photo header of my blog this month. I have decided I am ready to be done with sewing more of these Alamo Star blocks. I have another little block I want to start making for my next RSC project, but first Alamo Stars needs to be finished. Harsh, I know!
It has been difficult to figure out how to start putting the blocks together. Should I try a random layout? Attempt an organized light to dark layout? Indecision stalled any progress.
Finally I decided to make 4 patch blocks using the colour of the month at RSC, which this month is purple. I'm sewing 4 patch blocks using two light and two dark backgrounds. The 4 patches measure 5" and will be 4.5" in the finished quilt. They are tiny and adorable... and they really do sparkle on the design wall. 
Like most things in life, I have no idea how this is all going to work out, but at least it's a start toward someday having a finished quilt from these blocks. I'm hoping I will be able to arrange the colours like Angela did in her OMG layout.
To see more Rainbow Scrap Challenge updates, hop over to SoScrappy.

27 comments:

Ariane said...

These are super cute blocks!

Kathy S. said...

Wow. That's a great deal of different purples. Beautiful!

Chantal said...

Lovely picture of purple stars. Did you count how many you have made so far? It'll be fun to see them all come and play together. ;^)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Were these the ones stored in the fridge? :) Something was ; I remember that lol

Lin said...

The hardest thing is always making a start! I find it is best to just go for it and then even if your first idea is not quite right something else - the right thing - usually suggests itself and away you go. Good luck! xx

Quilter Kathy said...

Yes! These blocks live in the fridge!
Good memory!

Quilting Babcia said...

I think you're onto something wonderful with this arrangement of your tiny blocks. It's just perfect and should transition into your other RSC color blocks beautifully.

beaquilter said...

your blocks are great and I bet that once you stick them on the design wall - ALL of them!! you'd want to finish the quilt and know exactly what colors you need more of.... Can't wait to see!!

Teresa in Music City said...

What a great idea!!! I love these little stars and really look forward to seeing them come together :*)

scraphappy said...

You are so smart to finish these off before you start another tiny block. A new project on the horizon is always the perfect motivation for crossing an ongoing project off the list. Hope the blocks start talking to you as you sew them together and let you know how they would like to be finished.

Nell's Quilts said...

A see a finish looming in the near future - flimsy at least. Wow almost 5 years in the making. You must have quite a stack of little Alamo stars..

Janet O. said...

Oh, I am so in love with these! I think you could stop right there and sew those together, creating an adorable little purple mini. But think how stunning this is going to look in a rainbow of colors, with gobs of tiny stars!! I can't wait!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Like what you're doing here - the movement is great, looks like partial circles showing up in there.

Cathy said...

Oh yes! They sure make a nice header so I'm sure they will make a gorgeous quilt. Glad the time has come. Can't wait to see the next tiny block!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It will be great!

Karen said...

You are so good at keeping up with the Rainbow Challenge.

claudia said...

My goodness that's a lot of blocks! I can't wait to see how you lay them out. No matter how you do it, I know it's going to be pretty!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Did you ever count all of your little stars! They look great on your design wall as little four patches. I can't wait to see more!

margaret said...

so mnay stars they look great just joined in the challenge this year but still pondering on which block to use maybe churn dash

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

Lovely blocks and so tiny! The quilt will be fantastic!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Turning them into four patches is a great idea - will make the layout easier down the road AND let's you share them with us!

Angie in SoCal said...

I was wondering what those stacks were. This is going to be a gorgeous quilt.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the 4 patches. Have fun putting it together.

Katie Z. said...

I'm glad we'll get to see more of them for another year, as I have so enjoyed watching your progress. They are lovely.

Kyle said...

I like the idea of a four patch. It keeps it simple. And grouping the colors together makes the bigger splash of each color.

Kate said...

Sounds like a great place to start. Looking forward to seeing the final layout came about.

Sheila said...

I love these cute little purple stars!