Thursday, September 29, 2016

Broken Dishes

Cobwebs might start forming in my quilting studio if I don't get myself more organized and/or find more hours in the day. My sewing table is covered with the projects that are awaiting decisions to progress to the next stage. But I can't deal with that right now.
When I am really busy and feeling overwhelmed, I need something mindless to sew, which means that the projects requiring great concentration, and those requiring decisions get put aside in favour of something quick and easy.

This week in my sewing moments, which have been few and far between, I have been making these broken dishes blocks. Easy and relaxing. No decisions or brain power required. These are for Barb's Block Swap and need to be in the mail at the beginning of October, so it's the perfect project to focus on this week.

I am using my favourite BlocLoc ruler to square up the HSTs, but because I cut the triangles with the Easy Angle ruler, there is very little trimming required. Can you see the tiny slivers that are being trimmed? I wouldn't usually even do the trimming except to cut off the dog ears, but these blocks are for a swap and I want them to be perfect!

12 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Hi Kathy
I am in the modern swap and my blocks are all done!!! I love the red fabric you are using for your blocks. These little blocks sure are labour intensive!

Gail

Jo said...

I can't wait to get one of those Bloc Loc rulers

Chantal said...

Love your red fabric used for the swap blocks. I am participating too and mine have been mailed already. Now the hardest part begins: the waiting!! ;^)

Kate said...

Some weeks mindless is just plain necessary. Hope things slow down soon so you can get back to your other projects.

Amy said...

I'm in the modern swap too. It will be fun seeing Barb's post with all the blocks.

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful!!

margaret said...

I struggle with the bloc loc maybe I will get it out and have another go

Dasha said...

Isn't the BlocLoc fabulous?? I actually have the one for cross cutting strips too, but I don't find that nearly as easy to use or as useful. Your red blocks are really pretty.

Barb said...

I havn't tried that yet - I'm still sewing like mad too :0

Aunt 'Reen said...

Beautiful Broken Dishes blocks!
I'm looking forward to this swap.

Miaismine said...

They are stunning! I love your color combinations!

Kyle said...

Your blocks look great. I can't wait for the swap!