Monday, May 02, 2016

Design Wall Monday

Finally... on the design wall is the last quilted Swoon block!

This last block was pieced and quilted in the last couple of days, hoping to reach April's UFO goal. It really has been fun to machine quilt these 24" blocks. I just have to mention these bobbin washers that I regularly use when machine quilting. 



They really do seem to make the thread movement through the bobbin area much smoother. The washers just fit right down inside, and you put the bobbin in on top of it. I don't have any financial investment in this company, I'm just a satisfied customer!




The backing of this block was pieced from the last remaining bits of the "Mama said Sew" yardage.

This has been my UFO focus project for the past two months, but I actually starting working on this quilt in October 2013, so it's been in production for a long time.
The next step is to connect the 9 blocks using the Quilt-As-You-Go method that Andrea shows in her tutorial here. I will sew the blocks and sashing together by machine, and complete the sashing stitching on the back with hand stitching. 
This quilt is so close to being finished! I might even finish it within the 3 year mark... woohoo! 
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Judy's.

12 comments:

Deanna W said...

A finished quilt...come on!!! ;)
Those washers look like something I should invest in. Anything to help the machine quilting would be great. I can't wait to get my machine back from the doctors and see if the broken part has been an issue for awhile.A motor that controls the feeddogs died. I think it has been dying for awhile!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what is the purpose of the washers? I have not heard of this

Mary said...

It will be good to finish up your Swoon. Do you always try to finish a project within 3 years? I have a few that are way overdue!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your Swoon - on my bucket list.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Another beautiful Swoon block.
Congratulations that it is your last one.

SandraC said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

Julierose said...

Just beautiful! hugs, julierose

Lisa J. said...

Yay! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Janet O. said...

I look forward to seeing all of these blocks come together. I've never done QAYG, so it fascinates me. : )
Only three year? My goodness, you are fast. I just put a big quilt in my hand quilting hoop that I finished piecing three or four years ago, and it could take me two years or more to hand quilt. It was supposed to be a gift 6 years ago. That is my speed.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I really like how you quilted this, Kathy...anxious to see the finished quilt!

Kath said...

I was interested to see you are using thw washers. I'm not sure about them yet, as I have only been "sewing" with them and not quilting yet, other than some gentle walking foot quilting. But waht most grabbed my attention was that you are quilting each block seperately. Now, was that suggested in the pattern or did you decide to do it that way (sorry if you already posted about it and I missed it). I have been so keen to try a QAYG project myself and would love some tips.

Kate said...

Congrats on meeting your goal for April. I'm looking forward to seeing all your Swoon blocks stitched together.