Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Maintenance Reminder

My sewing machine feet are getting a real workout this week in finishing my Scrap Squad quilt. These are my tried and true attachments, and have worked so hard over the years, they really should be retired. On the left is the walking foot, the middle is my piecing foot, and on the right is a very old free motion foot. I'm not sure which machine that one originally came with, but it's my favourite one. 
In preparation for the mystery starting this week, I decided to give my machine a bit of a spa treatment, including a thorough cleaning and oiling. And look what I found inside... a piece of thread caught in the bobbin gear. That is never a good thing. It took quite a bit of finessing with the tweezers to get that long thread unwound. 
Maintenance is such an important part of keeping our machines in good running condition. 
The machine is ready for Allietare.
Wait. Where's my fabric?

9 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

My machine just had a major spa treatment at the sewing machine doctor clinic. It's purring along quite nicely now!

Mary said...

What kind of machine do you use?

Deb A said...

Mine will get a clean out this morning... before the walking foot goes on to get a quilt finished. Good advise and hope that fabric turns up!

Frances Meredith said...

Good tips. My sister has already wound all her bobbins in prep for Friday!

Deanna W said...

I have to make final choices for the mystery quilt. I cleaned and did a major defuzzing of my featherweight last week. I somehow have a piece of thread caught in the bobbin of my 301, behind the piece that holds the bobbin in. Is it a major job taking that off and then replacing it. It means taking a screw out and that always worries me.The machine is running fine with it there so I thought I would just leave it.Totally in love with my 301A

Vivian said...

You sew with a Brother 1500, if I remember right. The free motion foot in your photo looks identical to the one that came with my Brother 1500. This machine is my work horse, especially for straight stitch quilting (with the walking foot) and putting on binding. They deserve all the loving maintenance we give them.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Good reminder to clean regularly, you never know what might get stuck somewhere.

Kate said...

I should give my machine a quick once over before I get started on the stitching this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

beaquilter said...

I just finished clue 1, totally changed the colors...