Monday, July 06, 2015

Nothing on the design wall!

You know those times in life when you're so bone weary, that even a solid night of sleep can't make a difference??! That's what's up here. After a busy weekend camping with my family, I am exhausted. This morning I was thinking that perhaps I am too old to camp. 
Grandparents and Grandchildren
All 10 of the grandchildren in our family were able to attend our annual camping trip. This is quite amazing since almost all of them now have summer jobs. Even my nephew who lives in BC was able to attend, and he hasn't been able to come for several years! And some of them brought boy/girlfriends, so that made 18 people to feed at meal times.
Bean dip ingredients
I spent most of the time preparing and cooking food, and trying to enlist help with the cooking and clean up chores. I made bean dip which is always a crowd favourite, and it was eaten within minutes of being prepared! It seemed I just couldn't keep up with the hunger of these young campers. 

It wasn't all work though. There were wonderful conversations, hours of game playing ("Werewolf" was their favourite this year), and soccer on the beach were some of the highlights. My favourite memory is listening to the sounds of their laughter as I fell asleep each night. Long gone are the days when the adults stay up late to visit with each other. Now we are the first ones to bed!
And all of this to say, nothing is on my design wall, and I'm even too tired to quilt! Sad but true!

13 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I understand. When 6 of our grandchildren were in June, it seemed like all I did was cook and they ate EVERYTHING. No leftovers! I love them and was glad to see them but I sure was exhausted after they left. I went to bed at 8 pm two nights in a row.

Gina said...

You deserve another break after that one. Take it easy and take care of yourself

Gina said...

You deserve another break after that one. Take it easy and take care of yourself

Judy D in WA said...

I love the picture of the kids with the Grands. I so wish all of mine could be together at one time for a picture like this. Hope you recover soon. Isn't it amazing how much food young adults consume!

Lyndsey said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend. Enjoy a well deserved rest and remember you could have stayed up later than the youngsters if you had really wanted to!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

You were making great memories for them :)

Janet O. said...

Our extended family camp is in 3 weeks. I completely understand where you are coming from. I'm trying to get geared up. Years ago we broke down the meals to individual families, because we have a potential of over 60 people, but usually get between 35-45. Maybe you could get more rest if you didn't have to feed everyone altogether. Just a thought.
But I have to tell you, last year was the first year my Dad didn't spend the nights, and it was one week before his 91st birthday. He didn't come because Mom was in the hospital, but he has aged much since then and he won't be sleeping over this year. Makes me feel like a wimp for getting worn out at my age. Wanna join me? : )

scraphappy said...

What a great weekend for everyone. It sounds line it was the cooking more than the camping that kept you busy. It gets so hard to get everyone together, so glad they had such a great time.

kelley said...

what a great weekend...and the photo is a treasure...how wonderful to get everyone together...my Dad always said hearing his three girls in the next room talking and laughing was the best sound ever...

The Joyful Quilter said...

Bone tired, but a heart that is filled to the brim with love, I'm sure. What a special weekend for you and your family!

Mary said...

I'd be so happy to have a campout with my 32 cousins. You brought some long ago memories to mind. Bone tired is what happens after I have the boys sleep over for "grandma camp" in August. I feel ya! You are excused!!!

Deanna W said...

I hear ya...just returned from a family reunion too. Better get lots of rest...a weekend of sewing is on the horizon.Can't wait to catch up!!!

Kate said...

Sounds like a great weekend. It's so nice to get everyone together, but it's so hard as they get older, you have to enjoy it when it happens.