Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Treadling on Tuesday - Great British Sewing Bee


My 1901 Treadle machine


I am still treadling regularly on my Sphinx Egyptian Singer Model 127, sewing more scrappy strips onto adding machine tape. 
I really wanted to watch the Great British Sewing Bee while I treadled, since I quite enjoyed watching season one last yearIt's like the "Survivor" TV show, only with sewers competing in sewing challenges. It was an unbelievable challenge to actually be able to watch episodes of season 2. It's like the BBC doesn't really want anyone to watch it!

Watching season 2!

I'd be happy to buy the season on a disk set, but couldn't find that anywhere. I'd also watch it on YouTube since that is where I found season 1 episodes, but for season 2, I could only find episode 8.


Horrors... I had to finally resort to watching contraband episodes, which my son taught me how to find on the internet. 
Sewing Bee's big move to 9pm slot not so seamless
David was the last man standing/sewing in the bee!
The whole "finding a needle in the WWW haystack" should earn me a Detective position (and by the way, I'd be happy to work with contestant David who is a police officer). I eventually found and watched all 8 episodes of season 2 while treadling scraps! 
Treadledog Max
Episode 6 was my favorite because all the sewers had to construct a vintage inspired garment completely made on a vintage machine. One of the show reviewers called the antiques "dangerous and archaic machinery"!!! HA!


And of course, Max the Treadledog was always under foot, eager to help me with the dangerous treadling!

20 comments:

Jill said...

Sounds like my kind of TV. I did not know about this BBC show. I wonder if I can get it in the States. I, also, would be happy to work with David. Thanks for sharing the Great British Sewing Bee.

julieQ said...

Be careful now, Kathy...you may be using dangerous and archaic machinery!! Ha!!! Enjoy your treadling!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

neat sewing machine! have fun with it

RoseMary Baty-Willcox said...

I would love to how to treadle.
I have a 1800's treadle that works,
would a video of you using yours while you are talking us thru it.

I will also be looking for the
Great British sewing bee.

Scrappy quilter said...

Would love that kind of show here. Love your sewing machine. Beautiful.

Deanna W said...

My dream is to make a quilt on my treadle...I have to work on the coordination thing though. Funny thing my DH is better at it than I am. I too loved watching the first season with all those sewing challenges.

Needled Mom said...

I wish we got the show here. It sounds so interesting.

Anonymous said...

How did you find all the season 2 episodes?

Janet O. said...

Never heard of that show. Sounds like a fun premise.
Found a treadle like this at a local antique mall, but they had electrified it and removed the actual treadle. Ticked me off. Not that I have a place to put a treadle, but I keep fantasizing owning one. : )

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Gee, I use almost exclusively dangerous and archaic machinery, and I've not hurt myself yet. Now, on those newer machines, OUCH!

Nita said...

I've never seen the Great British Sewing Bee...sounds like it would make good wintertime watching :) maybe some www sleuthing is in my future, lol!

Chantal said...

The Great British Sewing Bee? Never heard of it but it sounds very interesting. You got me curious now. I'll have to check this out. Thanks.

Lesley said...

It sounds like a perfect combination of treading and watching! I will have to visit youtube!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

glad to see it's back. i missed it.

Rebecca in AK said...

I love you scrappy projects! I will be looking for this show. It sounds interesting.

Mary said...

I had to find the Downton Abbey that a link was posted on FB to watch with Simply June's website. No time to stitch while watching TV for me. Unless it is hand stitching. Have a great week. I'm still dreaming of a Treadle too!

Missy Shay said...

I couldn't find the episodes either, I think I watched like 3 of them last season. Where did you find them?

Kate said...

Love all the bits and pieces of brights in your scrappy strips.

Helen said...

I saw all of season one and would love to find season two if you're up to sharing.

I love your machine and your quilts. Scrap ones are the best.