Friday, November 30, 2012

November Free Motion Challenge

I missed doing October's Free Motion Quilting Challenge because I built it up in my mind as "too hard"! When we face a big challenge, most of us tend to procrastinate and/or never try. I can't count the number of times I have heard quilters say "I wish I could free motion quilt". You can!  But you have to be willing to put in the practice time! 
My plan is go back to October's lesson and spend more time on it over the Christmas holiday...practice and more practice! 
Here is November's lesson with Sarah Vedeler which I  finished on the last day of November! It is one of my all time favorite quilting designs - spirals!  I used this design on my Dr. Seuss quilt,  Disappearing 4 Patch, and the Kwik Scrappy Star quilt...to name a few.

The hardest part of this lesson was to quilt the spirals in a straight line. On paper, the lines helped me to keep the swirls in a row. 


But on the fabric, I tried to stitch a straight line of spirals on the diagonal of the block, and then swirled out! You can see at the top of the line, I forgot that my plan was to swirl in a line and made a couple of little swirls to the right, but I got right back in line!
I have really enjoyed the lessons that have been on the SewCalGal blog this year. Free lessons posted by award winning teachers... it doesn't get any better than that you quilters! If you haven't checked it out, hop over there and read or print out the lessons. There is only one more month left and the teacher is Patsy Thompson! I can't wait to see what she will teach....should be posted tomorrow.

2 comments:

Janet O. said...

You were one of the big motivators in my decision to learn FMQ. I am grateful for the encouragement I received from you. It really helped me stop dragging my feet and just do it. I have been glad I did the SewCalGal challenge, too. It has made me leave my comfort zone and improve skills much faster than I would have done on my own. I almost didn't do October's challenge, either, for the same reason--but it turned out to be one of my favorites.
I took a class from Patsy Thompson last spring. Can't wait to see what she has us do.
Your swirls look great and I love them on that fabric. Wow, this comment is almost as long-winded as my posts! : )

scraphappy said...

Spirals are one of my all time favorite quilting patterns. Great work on yours! As far as straight lines or not, I don't think it matters too much unless you get lost or stuck. In any case, the swirls add such a nice texture to the quilt. It is a good feeling to be able to do your own quilting and make a quilt all yours from start to finish.